Friday, August 19, 2011

8/19/2011

Tough day at the gym, Fridays are easily my hardest and least productive days.  At the end of the work week and being out in the heat I feel drained and un-motivated, but gotta swell through all the bullshit if you want to get conan strong (first conan shout out on the blog, yeahhhh buddy!).  Squats are difficult but easily accomplishable with the right amount of time in between sets.  I'm taking around 4 minutes between sets now and I'm lifting with good strength levels each time, so thats good.  Ben and I have been trying to figure out the right technique with the pendlay rows, in order to not cheat ourselves to much but using our legs, so I think we have it figured out pretty good and can keep our backs straight across for all the reps.  Bench was alittle more difficult today but i still think I can get 200 without having to deload.  Have a good weekend!

Beast of the week:  Benny P, for his tremendous deadlift on Wednesday, keeping beasting Benny!!

Quote of the week: "You will sense it; you will be awed by it; and your fellow men will indeed, as he has done for thousands of years, pay you homage".


8/19/11
Squat: 215 5x5
Pendlay Row: 170 3x5
Bench Press: 185 2x5 1x8
Dips: 25lb 7x7


-MikeyBabs


8/19/11
Squat: 270 3x5
Pendlay Row: 150 5x5
Bench Press: 175 3x5 135x12
dips 45lb 6x5x5
GHD raise 12x15x15
reverse hyper-ext 20x12
double-unders 5x10x20x50x45x20
-Benny


I think keeping my legs wider and concentrating on driving up on the bench with a tight back helps, did 175 again bc I felt like crap last time I did it; was easier this time but if there was any question about carry over between dips and bench; I lost a couple reps per set on dips by doing those right after the lighter cool down set on bench.  Mike apparently decided to go nuts on the weighted dips and did 50; awesome man; consider how hard those were 2 months ago.  


If you guys are curious what them GHD and reverse hypers are check out this: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/cfj-oct-2005/glute-ham-demo.wmv


and this:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM4fcVP4hHo


I's kind of hard to describe but it will help your deadlift by strengthening your lower back and teaching your to use your hips to get your upper body up to nearly vertical; because, hips don't lie..
You know though; gold's gym doesn't have the right bench for this so forget all of this.

5 comments:

  1. yo boys, remember old conan strong, not new!

    squat: 205 5x5
    bench: 180 5x5
    deadlift: 135 1x5

    still working on my deadlift technique, its far from perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, what was the bench in the corner that you and I did one time that replicated that ham raise? it was different then what the girl in that video was doing though. Is that machine efficient or no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo mikey I finally got on this blog thing, started the workout almost two weeks ago now and I'm lovin it. I took a lot of weight off all my exercises that I had been doing already so I could get used to squatting three times a week, but so far so good.

    squat 200 5x5
    bench 165 5x5
    row 105 5x5
    deadlift 165 5x5
    military press 105 5x5

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice smitty-baby, the guy says to deadlift only 1x5 on the deadlifts but i'm not sure if you are looking to tweek it alittle from his exact workout, because if you were only doing 1x5 then that weight would be way up. Besides that awesome numbers man, great to have you aboard!!!

    ReplyDelete